Ulcerative colitis is a disease that attacks your digestive tract. It is most commonly found in the inner line of colon, rectum, or even whole general intestine. The root cause of this disease is still unknown, but several causes such as stress, strict diet, or malfunctioning immune system might take a part in the emergence of this case. A number of symptoms that you can find regarding this disease include (but not limited to) cramps, internal bleeding, and bloody diarrhea. This illness takes a form of inflammation that if not taken care professionally, might end up to colon cancer.
Moreover, it is categorized in chronic disease, so the recuperation effort will not be done in weeks, instead it will take years or maybe a lifetime. Most of ulcerative colitis patients come from young adults and elders, while a small percentage of toddlers are the least infected. Unfortunately, there are no cures for this disease. The best way to handle it is by extensive treatment. The treatment is also may vary, ranging from medication, hospitalization, and intestinal surgery. But don’t worry as you can also do a small treatment in your house. This is the list of home treatments of ulcerative colitis that you can undergo.
Home Remedies for Ulcerative Colitis
When dealing a problem with intestine and digestive system, it is important to pay attention to the food and drinks that come into our body. But don’t get too restrictive as your body still needs the nutrient intake to be functioned properly. Here is a list of healthy diet that can help you ease the pain of ulcerative colitis.
Omega-3 is very useful to alleviate and prevent inflammation. It is commonly contained in fish oil, usually salmon. Now, there is quite the amount of store that sells fish oil in pills or even supplement; this could simplify the accessibilities. Periodically consuming omega-3 in a high amount is recommended by health expert, but do not forget that you still need an equal amount of other nutrients too.
Who knows that this good bacteria usually come in yoghurt and ice cream can help ease off chronic disease like ulcerative colitis? Moreover, probiotics also help your nutrient absorption, thus increasing your condition and resulting in immune system to be able to work optimally. Health experts argue that the bacteria in our body need to be consist of 85% good bacteria and 15% of bad ones. When you consume probiotics on a daily basis, they can control the amount of bad and good bacteria in digestive system. They will act as a shield that block the excessive amount of bad bacteria when our body signaling disproportion amount of it. However, you can’t also consume it too much in one sitting, because it may lead to stomachache.
When talking about intestine, digestive system, and colon issues, then the solution won’t be too far away from the fiber. This material can give the necessary nutrient to our body without making it to heavy work. As we know, fiber is easily destroyed, so intestine doesn’t have to “grind” it again.
4. Vitamin C
High intake of vitamin C might relieve sore that’s caused by ulcerative colitis. You can get vitamin C easily in certain fruits, including guava, oranges, and strawberry. If you intend to choose oranges, their essences are proven effective to slow down your bowel movement. Therefore, it is a good choice at all.
5. Aloe Vera
In addition to its effect on your hair, Aloe Vera can also be used as “coatings” for your infection. It prevents ulcerative colitis inflammation to collide with one another. Just blend it, add a teaspoon of sugar, and mix it with warm water. Then, you can drink it while it is still warm. Take it twice a week to line your colon infection.
6. Various kinds of fluids
In such condition, it highly suggested that you drink a lot of fluid. Their form will not aggravate your intestine system’s job, so you are free to choose any kinds of fluid that you like (except carbonated and caffeinated drinks, obviously). Here are the good fluids to treat ulcerative colitis.
- Ginger tea
- Chamomile tea
- Linseed oil: mix two tablespoons of linseed oil with half cup of water and drink it on an empty stomach to help cleansing it.
- Rice water: just boil the excess of rice water and drink it while it is still warm.
- Fruit and vegetables smoothie: make a smoothie from a cucumber, carrot, apple, and beet, and drink it twice a day, one in the morning and another in the afternoon.
- Apple cider vinegar and honey mix. If you can handle the sour taste of apple vinegar, then skip the honey. Otherwise, mix 2 teaspoons of honey and apple cider vinegar in a glass of mineral water and drink it daily.
- Buttermilk. Its sticky form can help alleviate the soreness in your intestine.
Fruits are high in fiber and can help to stabilize your condition since their nutrient content is very useful for those who lack of balanced nutritional intake. However, don’t just pick any fruits randomly. There are kinds of fruits that provide good nutrient, balancing body condition while also repairing damaged tissue that infected by ulcerative colitis. Fruits such as apple, papaya, banana, and avocado can safely consume by the patients. But remember, if the fruit is too hard to eat, try steaming or blending it. It is suggested to eat fruits twice a day, morning and afternoon.
Aside from things that suggested to be consumed, there are also certain things that cannot be consumed by those who suffered ulcerative colitis. Those things are:
- Caffeinated drinks. It is possible because caffeine creates a bad effect to your digestive system.
- Carbonated drinks, obviously because the amount of sugar that contained inside. However, carbonated drinks or soda have already considered as the heavy beverages. It is not suitable to be consumed when you are suffering the intestinal illness.
- Meat in general, especially red meat. Their solid and dense form might be an inconvenience to digest.
- High-intake sugar. Here it means the high amount of pure sugar consumed without any addition to it; take candies for example. This restriction based on the effect of pure sugar towards our digestive system. Sugar can potentially worsen the soreness that comes in the first place. However, its consumption as an addition or sugar that comes from fruits might be accepted.
If you think it again, it is fair that all kinds of foods and beverages mentioned above are forbidden to be consumed while having intestinal issues. Yes, all of them require a high amount of digestive works to consume, and it is possible that you will feel severe pain after consuming it. That is some foods and beverages that can help alleviate the pain of ulcerative colitis.
All of the stuff mentioned above can easily be bought in the local or nearest stores in your area, making it the easiest and most delightful kinds of home remedies. If you are having difficulties finding some ingredients, you can skip them and change with other kinds of food and beverages. All of them have the same amount of good effects to relieve the stress caused by ulcerative colitis.