Deodorant is now considered as an essential supply. People want to avoid having unpleasant body odor as much as possible. Although the one you can find in store is still highly popular, more people are turning to homemade deodorant. The homemade version does not possess similar risks like manufactured deodorant has. It is made of all natural ingredients that you can find easily in the market. What are the benefits of making your own deodorant? How to make deodorant from natural materials that can work effectively? Let’s read this article further to find out the answers.
Why Homemade Deodorant is better than the Store-bought One?
Body odor can be troublesome, especially in social situations. It may affect your confidence badly. In several cases, it can be avoided by having a good diet. The odor happens because bacteria on your skin feeds on protein contained in sweat. It then releases acid which may smell. Some people are lucky not to emit unpleasant smell from their body. However, some others need external help like deodorant for this.
As mentioned earlier, homemade deodorant is not as risky as the regular kind. It is made from ingredients that are natural. The one that you buy in store is usually packed with various types of chemicals, like aluminum. While those chemicals can help containing body odor, they can create some side effects which put your health condition at risk. It is because the chemicals will go into your body without being filtered beforehand. Here are some reasons why making your own deodorant is better than using chemical-based deodorant.
1. Regular Deodorant May Promote Cancerous Cells
Chemical components inside some store-bought deodorant products can be toxic. Some studies have suggested that aluminum and parabens which are often found in the product can promote cancerous cells’ growth. One type of cancer which is regularly linked to the product usage is breast cancer. Although the finding still needs further researching, it is a good reason for you to start wearing homemade deodorant. By using natural ingredients, you can avoid this risk.
2. Chemicals in Store-bought Deodorant Can Disrupt Your Endocrine System
The ingredients you can find in chemical-based product are also found to disturb your hormonal system. They tend to replicate how hormones work in human’s body, and then disturb their productions and functions. Parabens are included in the product to prevent bacteria and yeast’s growth on your skin. These substances are predicted to affect your hormone production, particularly estrogen in women. Homemade deodorant certainly will not do this to your body.
3. Natural Deodorant is Hypoallergenic
Normally, deodorant is applied in sensitive part of your body like armpits. Your skin in that area can get irritated easily if you are not choosing the right product to use. Unlike homemade deodorant, manufactured anti body odor contains manmade ingredients like silica that can trigger some heavy allergic reactions. When using chemical-based deodorant your skin may feel itchy or worse, you may develop rash in that part of your body.
4. Your Body Can Develop Resistance on the Chemical Components
Regular deodorant works by preventing bacteria from growing on the applied skin as well as reducing sweat production. However, some people notice that after using the manufactured product after some while, it stops working effectively for them. Research suggests that your body tends to find a way to resist chemical components that block its natural work. You can try to try new brand deodorant every once in a while, but homemade deodorant is a better alternative than doing that.
Making Homemade Deodorant That Will Work Nicely
Some people have doubt on homemade deodorant because they do not think it will work well. But if you find a great recipe to make it, you are covered for a long period. There are two deodorant recipes with natural compositions which will be discussed. These recipes have been proved to work well. You can easily make adjustments to create your ultimate version based on them.
The first homemade deodorant recipe is shea butter based. Let’s find out the components and steps to prepare it.
- 2 tablespoons shea butter
- 3 tablespoons pure coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch, the organic version is preferred
- Essential oils of your choice for fragrance, this is an optional ingredient
- Heat up shea butter and pure coconut oil over a bain-marie or double boiler until they nearly melt all the way through. You can also put your butter and solid oil inside a small mason jar then place that jar in hot water until they melt. Another option is to heat them up inside microwave briefly.
- Once your butter and oil have melted, put baking soda and arrowroot powder into the liquid. Mix until the ingredients are combined well.
- Add few drops of your favorite essential oils and stir.
- Place the homemade deodorant inside a closed container.
- Wait for several hours until the deodorant solidifies in room temperature before you can use it.
The second recipe does not use shea butter. It is simpler and faster to do than the first one but is still able to deliver great result. Here are the ingredients and preparation steps of this homemade deodorant.
- 6 tablespoons pure coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons baking soda
- 4 tablespoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch, organic ingredient is preferred for this
- Your favorite essential oils for fragrance, you can omit this ingredient if you want unscented deodorant
- Inside a medium size bowl, place your baking soda and arrowroot powder. Mix them until they are well combined.
- Spoon in your solid coconut oil into the bowl. Using a fork, mash the solid oil until powdered ingredients are incorporated well.
- Add your favorite essential oils into the mix if you wish.
- Place your ready to be used homemade deodorant inside a closed container and wear it whenever you want to.
Of course you can opt for deodorant that is unscented. But adding this fragrant oil is making your natural deodorant more appealing. Some essential oils can even enhance the anti-body odor function of your deodorant. It is because they can stop bacteria growth on your sensitive skin. They can also prevent allergic reactions like inflamed skin tissues for using the deodorant. The scent is also pleasant and can help you relax. Thyme, lavender, geranium, and lemongrass essentials oil are great to be used in your natural deodorant. Aside from having fragrant smell, they also have antibacterial components.
To use your natural deodorant easier without having to scoop it out from the jar, you can actually put it in used deodorant stick that has been cleaned well. That way you can apply them in simpler manner. However, you need to account the fact that this homemade deodorant is oil based, so in hotter months it will turn into liquid easily. One way to prevent this occurrence is by keeping it inside your fridge or other cool spots in your home.
Issues You May Find While Using Homemade Deodorant
An active ingredient inside these Do-It-Yourself deodorant recipes is baking soda. There are people who develop issues like discoloration and even rash because of this ingredient. If this happens to you, it is better to stop the deodorant usage altogether until your skin heals. Before you are using the homemade deodorant under your armpit, it is suggested to try a little amount at first to see how your skin will react. If your skin does not show any negative reaction, then it is safe to use it.
One trick to work around it is by cutting the amount of baking soda required in recipes by half. Some people who cannot handle baking soda in their deodorant also find better arrangement when using recipe that is acid based. Magnesium oil is another alternative component you can use instead of baking soda. There are also people who have allergic reaction to coconut oil. The recipes can be altered by using other kinds of oils. Jojoba and almond oils are great alternatives. However, the end result will be less thick than when using coconut oil.
To improve your health and quality of life, it is better to use natural ingredients in every aspect of your life. Nature-based deodorant is proven to be working. If you do not fancy in making it, you can easily find organic deodorant in health stores although it can be very expensive. Making homemade deodorant is a fun activity. Although it takes time and effort, the result is satisfying.